Hacker Career Advice
You’re Halfway Through Your Summer Internship
It’s the middle of July, so you’re probably about halfway through your summer internship. How’s it going? Good? That’s awesome, have you:
- Learned a new skill?
- Completed a project?
- Deployed to production?
- Taken a day off to have some fun?
- Found a mentor?
- Proposed a solution or new initiative?
- Figured out if you like the company & want to work there?
- Made a presentation?
- Taken a minute to catalog your accomplishments?
- Done a design review?
- Met with someone in every department?
- Understood how the business works & where their revenues really come from?
- Organized a social event with your fellow interns or coworkers?
- Gone to the gym every week?
- Talked to a client?
- Worked on your blog / novel / RMS fanfic?
This isn’t a checklist of “musts.” It’s a reminder that time is scarce and your internship is about more than writing code & taking notes.
If you see an opportunity to excel or have fun, seize it! Summer goes fast and before you know it, you’ll be doing problem sets and going to class again.