Hacker Career Advice
Whether you go on vacation for 3 days or 3 weeks, it’s always tough to get back into work mode.
Here’s a sample of what awaits you: pages of unread emails, dozens of Jira tickets, decisions made without your input, the morning commute, and a ghastly pox of Slack notifications.
But don’t let it get you down. Instead, make your first day back a fresh start:
- Eat a real breakfast. Protein, whole grains, a banana—whatever fills your tank & gets your motor running.
- Clean up your desk. Tidying up isn’t just physical, it’s mental. Clear out the cobwebs and reorient yourself with your workspace.
- Go slow. Limit yourself to 75% of your normal workload on Day 1. It’s fine to ease back in, just don’t get sloppy!
- Get 1 thing done. Achievement motivates you to do more. Once you complete a task, the next one will be easier and faster.
- Talk to people. Instead of diving into email & Slack, talk to your colleagues to figure out what’s important, what can wait, and what’s no longer relevant.
© 2019 Neal Shyam