Hacker Career Advice
Don’t Avoid Your Boss
Whether it’s an annual review, weekly 1:1, or a casual chat, talking to the boss isn’t something most people look forward to. I mean, nobody wants to talk to “the man,” right?
Wrong! It’s time to drop this hackneyed trope. Talking to your boss on a regular basis is 100% a positive career move. Here’s why:
- You’re probably not the only person who reports to your boss. 1:1s are an opportunity to make the conversation about you. Remind your boss of your recent accomplishments and what you’ve been working on.
- Emails and Slack messages get lost. But face to face, you won’t be ignored.
- With regular checkins, you can make and measure progress on issues you’re having, ask for new resources, and follow up on them. See previous point 😊
- It’s a lot easier to ask for a raise if your boss knows what you’ve been working on.
- Business changes rapidly, so if you check in with your boss regularly, you’ll always know what’s up, what’s on the horizon, and how you’ll need to adapt.
© 2019 Neal Shyam