Hacker Career Advice
When the Unslackable Happens
On Tuesday, Slack went down and at first, we made all the usual jokes. But it got us thinking: how resilient is your company to a major service outage?
- Can you still do your work and push code if s3, Azure, Rackspace, or EngineYard goes down?
- If your DNS provider gets DDoS’d, do you have a backup DNS provider?
- Are you keeping logs of all user activity? (without leaking PII)
- Are you logging your errors? Are they easily searchable?
- Do you have database redundancy, and do you test your backups?
- For remote teams, what is your default backup communications channel?
If you’re unsure, ask your team!
© 2019 Neal Shyam